To obtain a Canadian student visa starts from you gaining admission in one of the Canadian universities, then a student permits in which you are allowed to used in studying in any Designated Learning Institution in Canada and visa for students which allows you to enter and live in Canada.
It is necessary that a students gets a visa and due authorization to study in Canada before entering the country. They are expected to meet all the basis and requirements in accordance with the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations.
Steps to guide you obtain a student visa to study and live in Canada
1. Choose Your School
You have to first select from the list of the universities in Canada, depends on the located and the area you would like to settle. Then apply to the school to get an acceptance letter which will be required when you start your visa application.
2. Verify If You Will Need Student Visa
The next thing to do is to check if you actually need a Canadian student visa to study in Canada. You may not need a student visa if you fall under this categories;
- You are a staff or family member of a foreign representative in Canada, and the person is accredited by the department of foreign affairs, department of trade, and department of development Canada.
- Your program or course of study is less than six months.
- Family member to a foreign armed force.
- If you have a registered Indian status in Canada.
You may still have to get an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) to enter Canada.
3. Start the necessary application for a student study permit.
If you have successfully obtained an acceptance letter from your chosen institution, then you can start with preparing and apply for a student permit.
You may need to issue some documents for this applications including a proof of your intentions and the ability to support yourself financially while you study in Canada.
The documents differs from country to country, you can confirm the required documents for your country from Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.
4. Obtain all the required documents
The following documents are needed before you can be able to start any student permit process;
- The acceptance letter from the institution you applied to.
- A medical examination report
- A proof that you paid your tuition fee for at least one year.
- A language test result to show you took the test. With a minimum of 6 in English and 7 for French.
- A guaranteed investment certificate of $10,000
5. Move to Canada to begin your studies
If you leave in any other country aside Canada, you will receive a letter of introduction at the Canadian port of entry if your application is approved, and a student visa (if you need a visa to enter the country). The two documents will permit you to enter Canada and at the Port Of Entry, you will be given your student permit.
N/B: the study permit will not be sent through email; you can only pick it up at the POE in Canada. But if you live in Canada your study permit will be mailed to you.