Should I Look For Assistance in Applying for a Green Card

Attempting to get a Green Card is a crucial process. Any slight mistake could result in a failed attempt. Immigration Lawyers have helped thousands of individuals to successfully get U.S. permanent residence.

There are a few different ways for applying for U.S. permanent residence, where you would obtain what is known as a Green Card. The most common way to get a Green Card would be through one of two methods:

Seeking refuge is also a way someone may be able to receive permanent residence in the United States. You may be eligible for a green card if the government granted you asylum due to life threatening circumstances in your home country. Individuals granted asylum can apply for a green card after one year of residence in the U.S.

Long-time resident non-citizens may escape deportation proceedings and apply for a green card if they can prove their removal from the country would cause severe hardship to another U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

Most common way to get a Green Card:

Once you receive your green card, carry it with you at all times for identification purposes. While permanent resident status continues as long as you live in the U.S., your green card is valid for 10 years. You are required to renew it before the expiration date.

Immigration and Naturalization (INS) can revoke your green card if you are convicted of crimes including murder, terrorist activities, sexual assault, drug/gun trafficking, theft, and fraud.

Your card can also be revoked if you fail to maintain valid residency in the U.S. If you travel abroad for extended periods, be careful to maintain evidence that the U.S. is your home base. Filing tax returns, owing property, or having U.S. bank accounts are good proofs of residency. If your green card is revoked by an INS agent, you have the right to be heard before an immigration judge.

Permanent residents who will be out of the country longer than 6 months should apply for a Travel Document (Form I-131). This permit will allow re-entry into the U.S. If you will be out of the country for over 2 years or after the expiration of your green card or re-entry permit, apply for a special immigrant visa (SB-1) at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

If you are one of the many people in the world looking to become an American citizen, a green card will be your best friend. Understanding what this card can do and how to obtain one is your first step towards becoming either a new American or a new American worker.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here